11.25.2011

We Give Thee Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving from our little turkey!







Thanksgiving is by far my favorite day of the year. I look forward to this feast all year long...not just eating it, but planning for it and preparing it as well. I love looking through cookbooks to get inspiration for new dishes, but most of my dishes are the same every year; Grandma Becky's stuffing, Grandma Gladys' noodles, turkey, cranberry sauce and the highlight of the meal, my bacon brussel sprouts. I found this recipe a few years ago on the food network and it has become my absolute favorite! A must have at my Thanksgiving table! I had a few complaints this year from Jarod that I didn't make green bean casserole (it can't be Thanksgiving without green bean casserole, he says) or gravy. I make lumpy gravy. It's horrible. I have tried a few times and I can never get it right. There must be a secret that I'm not aware of. Jarod's mom makes the best gravy, and even though I watch her carefully at least once a year as she is making it, I can never reproduce it.

My nice clean kitchen before...




and after baking (with my little helper in the background).




I love to bake and there is nothing better than homemade pie to finish off the best meal of the year! Every Thanksgiving I HAVE to bake pumpkin pie, apple cranberry pie, and pecan pie. My dad always talks about his grandma Elsie's famous pecan pie and how nobody could even come close to beating hers. Now, I don't think that I'll ever hear him say that mine is better, however, he does think mine is almost as good! I'll take that as high praise. I don't think Grandma Elsie would be proud of me this year, though. I forgot to turn the oven down after baking the crust and the burnt it to a crisp. The good news is the filling was still delicious, and once I cut off the charred crust it was enjoyed by the Kastl family.




This year I tried something new...pumpkin whoopie pies...just because I love their name.
















Setting the table is so much fun. It's the one meal of the year that I get out Grandma & Grandpa Huppert's china and have a "fancy" table setting. Deciding on the decorations is the hard part. I get out my big box of thanksgiving decorations and move them around until it looks just right.


















I had to laugh at the mountain of food Jarod had piled high on his plate. In his defense, he did use the salad plate!

Deliciousness!


Thank you Lord for all of the blessings you have given us this year. We are give you thanks for our two boys, health, family, friends, food and a loving home.


We are so blest.

No comments:

Post a Comment